Going Back to School is a busy and stressful day for Mom, Dad and the children. From Morning to Evening it feels like you are stress is your master. So the First Day of School needs an easy meal that will appeal to the both the elementary wee ones and teens.
When my children were little it was a true battle to keep them awake upon returning to the house. We would enter the house and they would drop their bags and kick off their shoes. I would walk to the kitchen to start dinner. If they did not follow me then I knew they found the couch and were already asleep. Two minutes of unsupervised time and they were gone for the night. No dinner, No bath, No teeth brushing and they were to exhausted to stay awake and if I did get them awake they were monsters. Grumpy is not an adequate word for the creatures they wake up being. So the race is on to have a productive, good day and to get dinner in their bellies before they pass out.
These Individual Taco Pizzas are easy to make and you can incorporate the children into participating by telling them that you and them are going to do this…maybe the night before, in the morning and before they walk into their comfy homes. That will keep their minds awake long enough to get the food made and in them.
Problem Solving is really what Parenting is. This meal solves the problem and makes the children happy to eat it.
- 1 package whole wheat English Muffins
- ¾ cup refried beans
- ¾ cup Salsa (Hot according to preference.)
- ⅓ cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned, chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cup (6 ounces) shredded part-time mozzerella Cheese
- Spread the cut side of the muffins with refried beans; top with salsa, olives, chilies and cheese.
- Place on baking sheet; broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.