I love to make this dip for the football game night or parties because it is so easy and I usually have all the ingredients on hand. I double the recipe and prepare it in my slow cooker. That way, it will not scorch. This makes it completely worry-free when I’m entertaining.
There are no Jalapenos in this queso. Do not worry it is spicy without it and reminds me more of the queso we would get at The Original Ninfa’s off Navigation in Downtown Houston. They had always had just the right amount of vegetable and spice mixture.
This recipe blends the salsa (heat dependent on your taste), pimentos and chillies and then heightens the taste with spices. If I use hot salsa then I do not add the cayenne but it is up to you.
Serve with Margaritas and Chips.
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- ½ cup chunky-style salsa
- 1 can (4 oz ) chopped green chilies
- 2 jars (8 oz) pimientos, drained
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ⅛ tsp ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Put all ingredients in a small slow cooker and place on low. Stir every 20 minutes till melted and flavor mingle. Serve with chips