I have this love of curry flavors, probably because since I was little my mom made deviled eggs with curry. So, I incorporate curry powder every so often as in my Curried Potato Salad. But I had never had actual curry. The curry you hear about, that is served in restaurants and in Asian culture. It had never come up in front of me at dinner.
So when I moved out of my parents house, I wanted to try to make curry. I mean how hard could it be?
Remember, I don’t necessarily like to cook with oil. So every curry I made came out dry and very, very, very curry powder-y.
Then, one day I was watching MommyTang up on YouTube and came across one of her curry recipes. She introduced me to the Golden Curry brand of pre-made curry. I was intrigued. But none of the stores around me had it in stock. So I went to the internet to order. I decided to wait though. I did not need it right away. And so far, The Boyfriend was not liking anything curry.
Fast forward a few months and I was introduced to an Asian Market in town. They had everything I could dream of for Asian food (except black bean paste…). And sure enough, when I looked, they had Golden Curry. I quickly nabbed a few boxes, and set out to make some yummy curry.
This was a quick late night curry I conjured up one Monday night after getting home from school and being told by The Boyfriend that he had not made himself anything to eat (*eye roll*). So I thought why not make curry like I had done so many times before.
I chopped up some bell pepper, potato, onion, garlic and squash. Sauteed them. Then found some frozen Asian Vegetables and Broccoli in the fridge and just threw everything together.
In the end, The Boyfriend said it was the best curry I had made to date. And that made me feel really good. I ended up sending some over to my parents, who LOVED it!
So, I hope your family loved this as much as mine!
Go Vegan Y’all!
- 2 blocks Golden Curry, mild
- 1 yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 small yellow Squash
- 1 bag mixed Asian Vegetables
- 1 Potato, skinned and diced
- 2+ cups of water
- ½ bag frozen Broccoli
- ½ Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add the Onion and Garlic with about 2 tablespoons of water, and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the Bell Pepper, Potato, Squash and all frozen vegetables. let cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the water and let simmer for a few. Then add in the curry blocks.
- Stir constantly until the blocks are dissolved. Once dissolved, place a lid on the pan and lower the heat. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with rice noodles, rice or by itself.