Buffalo and BBQ wings get to be boring or a same-O experience.
I wanted to make something savory and taste so I applied a marinade someone had given me years ago for chicken with skin. I barely buy chicken with bones and skin anymore unless it is in a whole chicken and then if I cut it up it is expected to turn into fried chicken. House expectations are hard to live with sometimes. The surprise with this recipe is that it is so simple and the boys absolutely love it. I have to cook at least 50 at a time to stop the fighting and fill them all.
As always, size matters. You need to look for a large meaty wing. I have a supplier that I enjoy the meaty wings. But some stores sell wings that look like they came off a large pigeon or partridge. I want them to be meaty so I can serve it with potato salad or pasta salad and be done with dinner on a hot night. The skins on the wings is essential for this recipe as the marinade shows up a dark brown on the wings by the time it is finished cooking. I wish I could tell you that you can do these in a skillet because the hot summer nights you do not really want to use your oven but I can’t. You could grill them or you have to roast them in the oven to achieve the finger licking goodness that occurs because to the marinade.
Serves well with: Ice Tea, Pasta salad, Potato Salad and Rolls.
- 1 can Lemon-Lime Soda (7up, Sprite, Sierra Mist or a store brand Lemon-Lime Soda works)
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Oil
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder or 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp Horseradish
- 25 Large meaty Chicken Wings
- Mix 1st 5 ingredients in a large bowl that has a lid for storage.
- Stir well
- Add chicken wings. Submerge all chicken under the mixture.
- Put in the refrigerator for 24 hours
- Next day: Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Place chicken wings on a cookie sheet (Must have edges to catch juices)
- Cook for 1 hour.