I have met people who have looked at me like a lunatic when I say that I love armadillo eggs. Why would you eat an armadillo’s egg?
But no, they do not actually lay eggs. Armadillos are mammals, people!
I was introduced to this Texas appetizer when my family was in the restaurant business.
Normally, this is a simple recipe. Just take a jalapeno, hollowed out, stuff it with cream cheese and some shredded pepper jack or cheddar, and wrap sausage around it. Simple.
Of course, I have to make it extremely difficult to cook for, as my mother tells me so often when she realizes the recipe had honey in it. I made my own unconventional, but nearly the same dish, without the animal products.
WARNING: This appetizer can be really spicy if the jalapenos are not de-seeded all the way.
So I take some Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) and re-hydrate it with soy sauce, liquid smoke, garlic powder, sage, parsley, pepper flakes, oregano and smoked paprika with hot water. I let that sit for a good five minutes to let all the juices soak in. Once the five minutes are up, I stir in some flour to soak up all the excess moisture. Then I add in a flax egg and the bread crumbs. I stir it until I see it able to form into clumps.
I then mix my vegan cheeses together and stuff my jalapenos. I take each stuffed jalapeno and mold 1/4th of the TVP mixture around it. Then I coat it in extra bread crumbs and place it on a silicone lined baking tray to cook for 30 minutes in the oven.
In the end, the Armadillo egg is easy to cut into, and might be a bit spicy, so be careful.
My family loves this recipe. They say it taste like the real thing. So I challenge you to try it out for yourself.
Go Vegan Y’all!
- 1c Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Liquid Smoke
- ⅓ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Parsley, dried
- 1-1/2 tsp ground Sage
- ¼ tsp Pepper Flakes
- ⅛ tsp Oregano, dried
- ½ tsp smoked Paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1c hot water
- ¼c Flour
- ½c Bread Crumbs + ¼c for coating
- 1 Flax Egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 2 tbsp water)
- 4 jalepenos
- 4 tbsp vegan Cream Cheese
- 3 tbsp Shredded Vegan Cheese
- Preheat to oven to 350 degrees.
- In a cup, warm up the water. Add in the Soy Sauce, Liquid Smoke, Garlic Powder, Parsley, Sage, Pepper Flakes, Oregano, salt and Smoked Paprika and mix until well combined.
- In a bowl, pour in you TVP. Add the Water mixture and stir. Let sit for 5 minutes until most of the water is absorbed.
- Add in the Flour and stir until all liquid is gone.
- Add in the Flax Egg and Bread Crumbs and combine.
- Next, prepare your Jalapenos. Cut the stem off, then cut them lengthwise and scoop out all the seeds.
- In a small bowl, place the Cream Cheese and Cheese Shreds. Mix them together.
- Scoop the Cheese mixture into the middle of the Jalapenos, equally.
- Take ¼ of the TVP mixture and flatten on your hand. Place a jalapeno in the middle and mold the TVP around the jalapeno until you cannot see it anymore.
- On a shallow dish, place the remaining Bread Crumbs. Roll the egg shaped TVP-jalapeno in the Bread Crumbs until fully coated. Then place on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet.
- Repeat the last two steps until there are no more jalapenos.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes before serving.