The 4th of July is next Tuesday. Are you ready for the family cook out?
I know I am.
I have my Boot Scootin’ BBQ Sauce recipe and Amazing Curried Potato Salad recipe ready to be executed. But I was missing something. I was missing a real meaty-like burger. I mean, what is a 4th of July without meat.
But this year, I am vegan.
Earlier in about February, The Boyfriend and I tried the Beyond Meat Burger and fell in love. It was everything about burgers we loved, except for the fat content. And I would have resigned myself to bring them to the family 4th of July Picnic. If the $6.99 cost and the distance I have to drive to get to the closest Whole Foods was not a factor.
So. Cooking my own burgers was a must.
In the past, I have played with Vital Wheat Gluten. It is kind of fun, but a finicky thing, in my opinion. I wanted something different.
I had heard about Textured Vegetable Protein. And I had even seen it a my closest Sprouts store. But I had no idea what to do with it. The beginning of the summer rolled around and I started to see more and more about this meat substitute on my vegan Facebook groups. I decided, why not give it a try.
So, I headed out and bought my first package.
My initial thoughts about the product: The dehydrated version you get looks a bit like pork rinds. If you eat them, they crunch like pork rinds. When you re-hydrate them, do so with a brothy liquid or its harder to make the actual product taste nice. Do not overthink making things with it. It has the texture of ground meat when re-hydrated. Go wild. Make Breakfast Sausages (My next plan. Mwhahahahahaha!), burgers, meatballs, anything.
Each Patty has 18.5g protein and only 2.5g fat.
So, take this recipe and run wild with it. Add veggies to it… or not. What you do with it is up to you.
Enjoy your “Meaty” Burger y’all!
Go Vegan Y’all!
- 1 c Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion
- ½ tsp smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Basil, dried
- ½ tsp Parsley, dried
- ½ tsp Oregano, dried
- ½ tsp ground Sage
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 Not Chick'n Cube
- 1 c warm Water
- ¼ c Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Flax Egg (1 tbsp Flax Meal + 2 tbsp Water)
- 1 c Oats, Processed to flour
- 4 Whole Wheat Burger Buns
- 4 slices Daiya Cheese
- 1 large Tomato Sliced
- 1 head of Lettuce
- Ketchup, Vegan Mayo, Mustard, Pickles
- Add TVP to a medium sized bowl. Add in everything but the Flax egg and Oats. Stir.
- Wait three minutes for the TVP to soak in all liquid. Add the Flax Egg and Oats to the TVP mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Take dough and form into 4 burger rounds.
- Cook on medium heat on the stove for two minutes each side, until browned.
- Serve on a whole wheat bun with lettuce, tomatoes, Daiya cheese and any other burger toppings.