The 4th of July is right around the corner and I am preparing for this celebration by getting my BBQ on!
I mean, what is the 4th of July without BBQ, right? I have strived so hard for a nice pulled-something sandwich since I went vegan. It just eluded me as to what I could really use, until I found out about jackfruit.
So, I am stoked to share this gem with you!
This recipe started out as a simple, “I want a pulled pork type burger with BBQ sauce, that is it,” and ended up as a smokey sloppy joe. It was really my fault for putting in the onion and the red bell pepper, but it gives SO much substance to the meal that I can forgive myself about it.
I used my Boot Scootin’ Good BBQ Sauce, and Oh My! was this meal delicious!
This sandwich is so savory and delicious, my family wanted seconds and thirds. I has to tell them to get their grubby hands off of the bowl since we had it on the menu for the next day, but I was glad to know they enjoyed my endeavor into pulled jackfruit.
This recipe makes 8 servings, so there is plenty to go around.
I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did!
Go Vegan, Y’all!
- 1 can young green Jackfruit, drained
- ½ Boot Scootin' Good BBQ Sauce or 1½ cup your choice of BBQ sauce
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Carrot, grated
- ½ Zucchini, julienned or grated
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, add the onion and red bell pepper with a tablespoon of water. Let cook for a few minutes.
- Next, add in the Carrot, Zucchini and the Jackfruit. Pour in the BBQ sauce and let simmer for 30 minutes. Stir frequently.
- After 30 minutes, shred up the Jackfruit, any method you's like. Let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and serve. Enjoy!