Texas has a deep history with Germany and Texans probably started making and eating potato salad with the settlement of the Germans in the early 1800s. It is generally a tradition and most people can not imagine a BBQ or picnic without some.
Whether you eat potato salad with mustard or mayonnaise, or whether you put onions, celery or celery seed in it, it is still best made homemade. My mother boiled the potatoes, skin and all then cooled the potatoes in ice water and peeled them with her fingers. I prefer to either peel them before cooking or just use red or yellow potatoes and not worry about the skins. Cold potato salad makes a great midnight snack and I have caught a couple of my children making BBQ and potato salad sandwiches to take with them.
I make this recipe for all major holidays that mean we will be making BBQ. Which means that is pretty much every holiday from March till September. This recipe is simple but it has a sauce that I have used with shredded cabbage and in pasta salads. I have found if you find something that taste good and is a crowd pleaser than you can usually adjust it to work with so many other recipes. I believe that is what has happened with jalapeño poppers and now we have seen jalapeño popper mac n cheese, dips and casseroles. (They even have this jalapeno popper tray for your your jalapeno popper needs!)
- 3 lbs Red Potatoes, washed, cut in half
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Yellow mustard
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ¼ cup Italian Salad Dressing
- 11 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- ½ cup of Celery, optional
- ¼ cup of chopped green onion
- 2 Tbsp Dill Pickle relish
- 1 cup Cheddar, shredded
- Boil potatoes and eggs together.
- When potatoes are cooked to fork tender then drain all and set aside.
- In a bowl mix sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, mustard, garlic powder, pepper and Italian dressing together.
- Prepare Bacon
- Peel and chop eggs
- Add eggs, Bacon, onion, celery and pickles to the bowl with potatoes.
- Add sauce and cheddar and mix all together.
Don’t forget to subscribe for our Newsletter and receive our fancy-Schmancy shopping list, Texas style.