Fettuccine Alfredo used to be one of my favorite foods. Well, I had a lot of favorite foods, but I loved Alfredo. The butter and Parmesan sauce made my day whenever my momma cooked it.
Now that I am vegan, I have yet to try Alfredo that is close to traditional. I have been on a ride of different plant based diets trying to figure out which one was right for me. High protein, low-carb. Raw til 4. Whole starch low fat.
Finally, I just keep my regular diet to a high carb, low fat diet with nothing too extreme. Just eat what I need.
I stepped into my kitchen to make an Alfredo sauce, and by golly! I did.
When I approached this subject, I refused to make the traditional vegan cauliflower Alfredo. I have never had too much luck, as a home cook, blending the cauliflower until it was smooth. It always turned out grainy. So I thought, why not white beans?
So I made this protein packed Alfredo with 3 cups of great northern beans instead of cauliflower or butter and Parmesan.
I started by adding onion and garlic to a pan with a couple tablespoons of water. I cooked them for three minutes, until fragrant. Then, I took them off the heat and set them aside.
I next added the beans, spices, lemon juice, almond milk and water to a bowl. Using my nifty stick blender (immersion blender), I blended the beans up until it was smooth and creamy.
Last, I added the fragrant garlic and onions in and blended one last time, making sure it was smooth.
Next, I added it to a pan and stirred in some rosemary (totally optional) and heated the sauce all the way through. I cooked my penne pasta to the directions on the package, steamed up some broccoli and poured both into the sauce and mixed thoroughly.
To say this was just good is an understatement. I could have drank the sauce by itself. I don’t even have to worry about my protein intake, it’s all right there. I am pretty sure this recipe is going to be on the menu once a month, if not everyday!
Update: It’s an every two weeks kind of recipe! YAY!
Go Vegan Y’all!
- ½ onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3c white beans
- 1c water
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 fresh squeezed lemon
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 box penne pasta
- 1 bag (120z) steamed broccoli
- Place a pan on medium-high heat. Add 2-3 tbsp water the the pan along with the onion and garlic. stir for three minutes, take off heat and set aside.
- Add your white beans, 1 cup water, nutritional yeast, poultry seasoning, lemon juice and salt to a bowl and blend thoroughly with a stick blender until smooth. *if using a conventional blender, just add it all in there and blend on high until smooth.
- Next add the onions and garlic and blend until creamy.
- Cook your pasta according to the directions on the box. Cook your broccoli according to the package or if fresh broccoli, just steam it.
- Lastly, add everything to a big bowl and stir together.